Fine tuning your lighting design
Developing a lighting application or adding solid-state LED technology to your application requires equipment you don’t often see in most engineering labs. When you team up with Avnet’s lighting specialists, you’ll also gain access to Avnet’s LightLab.
Avnet LightLab is a state of the art facility equipped with the latest LED metrology suite from Instrument Systems. LightLab was designed to measure the key optical, electrical and thermal characteristics of high power LEDs, modules and luminaires. Avnet’s team of LED application engineers use LightLab’s capabilities to assist you throughout all phases of the design process from product definition and component selection, through final design verification.
Avnet LightLab was designed to support a broad range of LED applications including:
- General illumination
- Automotive – Interior and exterior lighting
- Digital signage
Our Equipment can perform all the relevant radiometric measurements from UV-B through near IR in addition to photometric and colorimetric measurements over the visible range.
A partial list of LightLab equipment includes:
- Integrating Spheres for 2π and 4π total flux measurements
- Computer-controlled goniophotometers for intensity vs viewing angle characterization
- Spectroradiometers for Spectral Power Distribution (SPD) characterization
- Colorimetric software to analyze LED CIE color coordinates, CCT and CRI
- Precision LED power supplies
- Radiance/luminance spotmeters
- Thermal imagers for troubleshooting thermal management problems
- Precision temperature logging for thermal management characterization
Typical tests include:
- Total flux measurements
- Intensity versus viewing angle
- Illuminance measurements
- Luminance of extended sources such as LCD back lights
- Luminous efficiency
- Characterization of secondary optics
- Spectral Power Distribution (SPD)
- CIE color coordinates
- Correlated Color Temperature (CCT)
- Color Rendering Index (CRI)
Cree has the widest portfolio of application optimized, lighting-class LED components that sets the industry’s benchmarks for performance, light quality and reliability.